About Detroit Labs
Detroit Labs was founded in 2011 with a vision for building digital products, services, and the teams that power them. We’re a diverse and inclusive workplace that strives toward justice and equity. A place unafraid to try new things. We bring our design and development expertise to a wide range of industries and offer a variety of opportunities in the web and mobile space.
Our commitment to people, teams, and community is what led to the launch of our Apprenticeship and OnSite programs. Through them, we educate and help guide the careers of software developers entering the field. These programs are only a couple of the ways we invest in our Detroit community, which includes initiatives launched by our own team members and supported by our leadership team.
Detroit Labs has over 100 employees, and offices in Detroit and Ann Arbor with remote-friendly support.
Backend Developer at Detroit Labs
We're looking for Backend Application Developers to write reliable, maintainable software for Detroit Labs projects. We need developers who can work together in teams to build, review, and learn from each other's code, estimate features, and fulfill development commitments to launch software projects. Is this a position you can imagine yourself in? Keep reading to learn more about the role and the characteristics of our Backend Developers at Labs.
You prefer working in a team setting to develop projects collaboratively. You are excited to adapt to new technologies and methodologies and incorporate those into ongoing work. You are solution- and team-oriented.
As a Backend developer, you will report to the Developer Manager.
Average Day of a Backend Developer
On an average day, you will implement requirements through writing readable and maintainable code that meets acceptance criteria, writing project documentation, and collaborating with other roles to create intuitive, performant, and accessible user experience. You will work with the project Delivery Lead to understand project goals, communicate progress towards those goals, and communicate roadblocks. You will also communicate development topics to non-developer audiences, including the client. Many days, you will provide technical support and feedback to less experienced team members in a way that’s conducive to their growth as well as to the success of the project delivery. At the beginning of each development cycle, you will also participate in team ceremonies, where you will work with the team to break down, refine, and estimate requirements, as well as identify any dependencies.
Expectations at 30, 60, 90 Days
In your first month, you will receive access to all the relevant team onboarding information to allow you to understand what the project you are on is about, learn about who the client is, and get the project set up on your machine. You will be invited to opportunities from your team members to build relationships with the members of your project team. You will also be encouraged to participate in team ceremonies using active listening, asking questions, and providing insight based on your technical skills and experience. There will be many opportunities to provide direct and thoughtful feedback in a compassionate manner on other team members’ pull requests and team workflow. By the end of the month, you will have submitted pull requests for tasks of low complexity independently or via pairing.
In your second month, you will have developed a solid understanding of your team’s workflow and contributed independently by completing tasks of low to medium complexity. You will be able to clearly communicate any project-related statuses to your team. And you will get opportunities to use your understanding to initiate or respond to client communication.
In your third month, you will have deepened your understanding of overall project architecture and the knowledge to actively participate in discussions and decisions regarding the project architecture. You will also have opportunities to actively participate in client-facing meetings and lead technical discussions.
- 4+ years building and delivering scalable services using JVM technologies in a professional software team.
- 1+ years using Java and/or Kotlin and Spring application software
- Knowledge of distributed enterprise and database systems.
- Experience designing, creating, and consuming RESTful APIs, using tools like Swagger/OpenAPI.
- Experience with creating middleware between software systems.
- Quality-focused, with a software development style that incorporates unit testing, continuous integration, or other development practices to create software that is high quality and maintainable over time.
- Experience reading and reviewing other team members' code for defect and performance improvement, and ability to reflect on and incorporate other team members’ feedback to improve your own code
- Experience estimating new software features with the information provided at the time of the request, and the ability to independently plan and accomplish tasks with proper time management
- Experience interacting with a project management tool such as Jira or card walls to build and track a backlog of work
- Belief that skills can be developed through deliberate study and practice (a “growth-based” mindset)
- Willingness to learn and grow in understanding of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- The salary range for this role is $70k-$95k, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k with employer match
- Annual budget for education & enrichment
- Flexible work schedule and open vacation policy
- Maternity and paternity leave program
- Detroit Labs Performance Bonus
- Free downtown Detroit parking
- A MacBook, or whatever equipment you need to do your work
- Thoughtful events and outings for you, your family, and friends
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
About Protocol LabsProtocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates,.
Piper Enterprise Solutions is currently seeking a Backend Developer for an opportunity to work for a global leader in cybersecurity for industrial controls systems (ICS)/operational technology (OT) environments.Responsibilities for the Backend Developer.
View all jobsTech Lead - Backend EngineeringRemote, US · Computer/SoftwareThis is an opportunity for you to be an impactful leader across all aspects of our technology environment. Our intent is to leverage technology as a means to deliver game changing.
At Paradigm, we are changing the future of finance! By joining us at this early stage, you’ll be building cutting-edge, distributed financial service infrastructure that will reshape financial services across CeFi and DeFi markets.About ParadigmParadigm.
Our client a financial services and digital payments company is seeking a Product Quality Analyst to work with their internal team and external partners to drive robust quality data processes and analytics tools.You will be responsible for understanding.
More jobs by this company
Detroit Labs was founded in 2011 with a vision for building digital products, services, and the teams that power them. We’re a diverse and inclusive workplace that strives toward justice and equity. A place unafraid to try new things. We have a variety.