Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 6.9 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the role
- Directly impact our mission of reducing fresh food waste by working on our backend data and machine learning platform that uses massive amounts of grocery store data to make ordering recommendations
- Build out our backend data and machine learning platform as well as supporting tooling to process tens of billions of historical data points collected from tens of thousands of retail stores and beyond
- Support developer experience for our wider engineering organization across functions and teams
- Leverage modern data analysis and processing frameworks, programming languages, and tooling—such as Apache Spark, Pandas, Python, and SQL—to provide powerful compute capabilities to our data and ML backend platform
- Scale our data backends that leverage a combination of traditional databases, data warehouses, and data lakes to support varying access patterns
- Scale up your impact by leading technical projects, participating in technical and design decisions, mentoring engineers, and participating in recruiting functions
- Act as an exemplar for our culture of excellence, curiosity, collaboration, proactivity, candor, humility, and kindness
Skills and experience
The following represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field, ideally in computer science or related field
- Outstanding programming skills with deep knowledge of databases, distributed systems, and backend concepts
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, deploy, and manage large production compute or data backend platforms at scale. Experience using modern big data frameworks, scaling computation to hundreds of machines, and/or working with machine learning systems preferred
- Demonstrated ability to triage and solve open-ended, ambiguous systems-level problems
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $30 million in funding from investors including Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors and James McCann (former CEO Tesco, Ahold, Carrefour). In 2021, we received an Honorable Mention for Fast Company's World Changing Ideas in Food.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
A qualified candidate must reside in or be willing to relocate to one of these states to be considered: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Position Overview: Gridiron IT is looking for an analytical, results-driven back-end developer who will work with team members to troubleshoot and improve current back-end applications and processes for the U.S. Geological Survey(USGS), Water Mission.
Backend Software DeveloperDraper, UT (or Remote)About CanopyCanopy is a fast-growing SaaS startup in Draper, Utah building simple, efficient software for accounting firms. We are looking to revolutionize the accounting space with modern, user-friendly.
About Grafana Cloud:Our Grafana Cloud pipeline moves millions of data points, log lines and traces per second from our customer's environments into a highly available, low-latency stack that processes and stores the data, and serves it to dashboards.
About Protocol LabsProtocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates,.
Headquarters: New York, NY URL: https://clevertech.bizExperience Remote done Right. Over 20 years of remote experience, all 500+ staff are 100% remote and we still grow vibrant relationships, provide exceptional opportunities for career growth while.
More jobs by this company
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating.