Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate. Our company’s mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency, and impact of Design. Since launching in July 2017, over 7,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from DocuSign, Instacart, Microsoft, Pandora, Wayfair, Wix, Cisco, Zendesk, and more.
At Abstract, we believe in a future where all companies recognize that empowering people to be creative unlocks productivity. We seek to build a world where companies see their people's expertise, where systems default to collaboration, and where curiosity and experimentation flourish.
We strive to be living examples of our values and first principles. We do hard things, make our own weather, and question the status quo. When we ship, we ship together. We value grit, inclusion, craft, curiosity, and iteration, just to name a few. And we embrace diversity and respect our differences because we know different minds see more parts.
If you thrive in a fast paced environment where you can make a big impact on our product and our company culture, we want to hear from you.
Abstract is a remote-first company (US-based only at this time).
About the Role
At Abstract, we're building the best platform for reviewing product design. We help design teams increase their impact with tools to transform the attribution, connection, and measurement of their work. We’re looking for a Senior Engineer to join our growing Platform team.
The Platform team designs and operates the backend services that drive our Notebooks and Branches products. While our focus is primarily on our backed services, Platform engineers collaborate closely with product and design teams to bring their technical expertise to the product development process.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with product and design teammates to shape new features
- Be involved in all aspects of API design and development
- Diagnose and address performance issues
- Own projects of increasing complexity and scope
- Define and improve best practices and processes for the team
- Lead teammates on projects
- Interview prospective team members
- Participate in the team’s First Responder rotation
You might be a fit for this role if you:
- Are fluent in Ruby and familiar with Rails and ActiveRecord
- Have built microservices in Go
- Designed high-volume APIs
- Have worked on small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats
- Have mentorship experience
- Have remote work experience
What you'll bring:
- A passion for building quality tools people love to use
- Excellent writing skills
- Curiosity, and a commitment to life-long learning
- A product mindset and a willingness to ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it’s serving the needs of our customers
- A desire to cultivate a culture of observability and collection of operational data to inform improvements to stability and performance
- The ability to make things happen even when the path is not well defined
- Ability to clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics to peers, junior engineers, and non-technical audiences
- Commitment to improvement and an understanding of technical trade-offs
- Respectful collaboration across teams
- Willingness both to listen to others and to be heard
- Enthusiasm for jumping in to diagnose and fix the core issues when things inevitably break
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Node.js in production
- Designed high-volume APIs
- Advanced or expert knowledge of SQL and relational databases
- Experience with background jobs (Sidekiq, Resque, etc.)
- Designed and built applications with Docker or Kubernetes
We are revolutionizing the work around the work of product design, helping teams make a greater impact. We're bringing the same level of collaboration to design reviews that the pull request did for code review.
Work from anywhere. We believe in the freedom to live and work wherever you want.
We value diversity. Abstract, as a product and as a team, is about including a wide range of ideas and voices so we can build something remarkable.
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing to all full-time employees. We provide up to 99% healthcare coverage, as well as dental, vision, and life insurance options. We offer 14 weeks of parental leave, an unlimited paid-time off policy, health care FSA, and are fully remote, allowing for a flexible working environment. Additional perks include dependent care, a budget to set up your home office, a monthly wellness and internet stipend, as well as mental & physical wellness services.
To help employees plan for the future, we offer competitive pay, access to financial services, and a 401(k).
We are a distributed team and are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: