Ripen is a digital commerce agency specializing in the tight union of technology, creative & strategy. We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and grow a team of software engineers working primarily on Shopify, but also Jamstack sites with other backends.
About the Position
You will initially lead a newly formed team of 3-5 engineers split from an existing larger team, with the expectation of hiring 2-3 more people over the next year. Your time will be split between leadership and contributing directly at a senior engineer level. As the team grows, we understand and expect an increasing share of your time to move toward management, though in this role there will always be a hands-on component.
As a manager, you will be responsible for hiring, professional growth, and performance management. You will ensure that everyone on your team has the context necessary to do their work well and will provide clear, constructive feedback. You will also advocate for your team with senior leadership to put the right processes and tools in place to support the success of your team.
We are actively looking to increase the perspective on our team with engineers from diverse backgrounds and walks of life, so people from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a remote-first company open to applicants anywhere in the United States, though we prefer a location in the Eastern or Central time zones. This is a full-time employee (W-2) position with benefits.
- At least 8 years of total experience in software engineering
- Either 2+ years of experience as a manager or 4+ years of experience as a team lead
- Strong experience in ecommerce engineering for brands running at least $10M ARR
- Expertise in inclusive front-end engineering (accessibility, usability and performance)
- Comfort designing & building APIs on serverless or microservice architectures
- Familiarity with software architecture principles supporting scalability & maintainability
- Impeccable cross-functional communication
- Ability to articulate clear expectations and provide accountability to meeting them
- High empathy/emotional intelligence, applied to cultivate a safe and welcoming team culture
- Efficient and effective technical hiring skills
A candidate with existing experience on Shopify is preferred, though it is not a requirement if you have strong experience with the general web technologies that are relevant. Candidates without strong Shopify experience will be asked to explain how their background will bridge to managing a team of Shopify engineers.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: