We believe a workplace food program is something employees should love and look forward to every day. Powered by technology and a network of over 2,000 restaurants, Fooda feeds hungry people at work through our ongoing food programs located within companies and office buildings. Every day, each Fooda location is served by different restaurants that come onsite and serve fresh lunch from their chef’s unique menus. Fooda operates in over 20 major US cities and plans for continued expansion.
About the team
At Fooda, we believe people should love and look forward to lunch every day. Our tightly-knit Product, Engineering & Data Science teams turn this belief into reality by dreaming up and developing meaningful technology for lunch eaters and the local restaurants that serve them. Adjectives used to describe our team: owners, friendly, intelligent, highly technical, and fun! Regardless of seniority, everyone takes personal ownership of the success of the company objectives and key results.
You can read more about some of our awesome products here - https://technology.fooda.com/ and here https://info.fooda.com/pos
About the Role
As a backend developer on the team, you will:
- Write lots of new features on an enterprise-grade Rails monolith that solves real-world user problems. Some of the problems you will tackle are "how can our diners checkout with my food faster (so that I can spend more time with my coworkers)", "how can our restaurants manage their menus better so that our users have more up-to-date visibility on what's available", "how can our operations team automate more of their manual tasks so that they can spend more time serving our clients".
- Implement data migrations to support your new features. We use Postgresql for our primary data store, elastic search for analytical queries. It's a very Chicago stack but we've built a lot of good tooling to make your life easier (we hope you will help us with this using your prior experience)
- Learn to scale your code to handle spiky traffic. Every day at Fooda is Cyber Monday since everyone wants their taco at 11 AM. To talk about a fun technical challenge our platform transacts over 200 million dollars a year and peaks at 100 orders per second. We are a heavy user of horizontally scaling patterns including load-based queue leveling, background tasks queues, and pub-sub.
- Consistently deliver performant, testable, scalable, highly-readable code using OO standard methodologies.
- Collaborate with an agile cross-team of developers, testers, designers & program managers to achieve our mission of helping small business restaurants acquire new diners
- Deploy and monitor your application onto our Kubernetes platform. We have a host of tooling built around SumoLogic and DataDog that will help you monitor production code. We're truly a DevOps team that has no SREs, DevOps! We have experts in each area and we coach each other on how to get better!
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of experience working as a backend developer or full-stack developer. We understand that it's a pretty wide field so we will make a role for you that you will succeed in.
- You are extremely proficient in your language of choice. We use Ruby but we know the best developers can pick up new languages easily!
- A strong believer in the best and efficient software development principles and processes (e.g. TDD, peer reviews, automation).
- Passionate about writing clean and well-tested code.
- Excellent debugging and profiling skills.
- You have a strong focus on the user. You can gain empathy for their challenges and understand how they may flow through our product.
- Self-starter and you enjoy working on a dynamic team.
- You have experience in interpreted languages and associated MVC framework - Rails/Ruby; Python/Django etc.
- You are proficient at writing front-end code. We have a mix of server-side rendered code (HTML, CSS, ERB) and new frontend code is in React. This is a big plus, as it makes you well suited to take on both frontend and backend assignments and extends the value you bring to the team.
- You may not be a frontend expert, you have DevOps experience deploying and monitoring your own code. Monitoring your own code is not a surprise request for you. We are a startup and everyone wears multiple hats.
- You have startup experience and enjoy working on small teams.
- Competitive compensation
- Nationwide Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Paid Time Off and Sick Leave
- Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Lots of free food!
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply — we’d love to hear from you.
This role has been categorized as a Remote position inside the United States only. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. Employees may live in any of the 50 US States.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: