Slack is looking for an experienced data scientist to work on performance measurement initiatives. At Slack, performance is a table-stakes feature - it’s at the heart of the product experience. You will work primarily with the Foundations product team which builds and maintains the core product features that make Slack the place for teams to get work done. The Foundations team oversees the core user experiences within Slack such as writing messages, retrieving and organizing information, and bringing files into Slack.
In this highly cross-functional role, you will define how Slack measures the performance of key user experiences. You’ll work with product managers and designers to scope and prioritize key user interactions within Slack. You’ll work with engineers on instrumentation of these measurements and build user-centric metrics from this data. You’ll be an org-level authority on the speed and responsiveness of our users’ experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You’ll partner with key decision makers to define the standards by which Slack will measure performance for key user experiences
- You’ll define standards of measurement (from log design to sampling techniques) that ensure Slack has appropriate strategies to measure the impact of targeted performance optimizations
- You’ll apply various statistical methods to identify the most important drivers of a user’s Slack performance, and evaluate the efficacy of infrastructure optimizations
- You’ll identify and clearly communicate potential opportunities to improve performance across all of Slack
- You’ll bridge the gap between software instrumentation and user perceptions of Slack and build a powerful narrative around Slack’s efforts to improve user experience
What you should have
- 5+ years of professional industry experience doing quantitative analysis.
- An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Economics, Physics) a plus.
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R, Scala).
- Knowledge of relevant statistical techniques (density estimation, reservoir sampling) in the area of distributed sampling
- Experience working with data technologies that allow analysis of large amounts of data (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hive, Hadoop, etc). Familiarity with Apache Airflow is a plus
- Experience with statistical and machine learning methods to build descriptive and predictive models.
- Plus: Experience with technologies that enable online analysis on distributed data (e.g.: Honeycomb)
- Plus: Past experience instrumenting large scale client and server-side logging for low latency applications
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
AE Business Solutions is looking for a User Experience Designer for a Remote Direct HireMust be US CitizenMust be located in one oif these States for Remote:Must be currently located in: AZ, CA, FL, IL, LA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, TN, TX, VA, WA or WIThe User Experien
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOBThe 3D Graphic Designer creates visual concepts, including 3D models, as needed for various projects for Express International and affiliate Companies.DESCRIPTION OF DUTIESCreate 3D models and artwork based on the concepts provided and industry standards.De
Headquarters: New York, NY URL: http://blenderbox.com/About the UX/UI Designer positionBlenderbox is looking for a UX/UI Designer - a seasoned professional that enjoys a healthy challenge. We seek a new trusted teammate that shares our passion for mission-driven work and rec
Designation: UX WriterLocation: Pune, Maharashtra (Remote currently)Skills Required: Strong grip over the English language, both written and verbal forms Should be able to write copy with various tones such as Serious, Whimsical or casual etc. Ability to understanding and th
Together Louisiana is Hiring!Together Louisiana is seeking a full-time video editor and graphic designer to create powerful and informative short videos that will help drive community education on grassroots campaigns.Responsibilities include creating a shot decision list based o
More jobs by this company
We are hiring an experienced data scientist for our Virtual HQ product team. This cross-functional team is building features within Slack to allow companies to be more productive while embracing a fully-remote or hybrid working model. This is the biggest opportunity to invent the
About the TeamThe Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team manages and scales core components of Slack’s infrastructure and product. We continuously seek to improve the visibility, speed, and safety of Slack’s distributed application architecture.We are a growing and e
Slack is seeking a highly effective marketer to help build and deliver Slack’s Customer Lifecycle and Engagement Marketing strategy. In this role, you’ll help build the foundation for Enterprise marketing at Slack, and you’ll be an advocate for the journey and n
Slack is looking for a strategic, results oriented Manager to join the Sales Strategy & Operations team.This person will partner with senior leaders across the Americas (AMER) Sales Organization to drive strategic initiatives that shape the growth trajectory of Slack’s
As part of our Sales and Customer Success team, the Customer Success Methodology team will form the approach to delivering value for Slack Customers post-sale. You will also support the adoption and rollout of new or updated methodologies across Customer Success. What you will be