Frontend Developer, Editorial Experimentation
We are searching for an innovative, audience-focused engineer to join a team responsible for experimenting with new ways to package, distribute, and promote McClatchy's journalism. The ideal candidate will be passionate about smart design and excited to build reader-facing experiences that push the boundaries of news products. This is a newsroom position ideal for an ambitious self-starter who wants to learn and grow within a creative team. If you don’t fit all the requirements but are ready to rethink local news, let’s talk.
- Develop web apps, APIs, email templates, utility scripts, and other technical solutions for new local journalism products.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify scalable solutions to complex content engineering challenges.
- Research existing and potential vendor technologies and recommend suitable solutions.
- Build and test prototypes to rapidly validate early product designs and assumptions.
- Write code to translate visual UI designs into interactive, cross-platform experiences.
- Communicate and document technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong fundamental skills in HTML and CSS, including demonstrable experience implementing best practices for responsive and mobile design, performance, and accessibility.
- Comfort using REST APIs with the ability to isolate and identify API issues.
- Experience working with complex content using JSON and XML.
- Experience combining data from disparate sources into usable interfaces.
- Comfort using git version control.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an understanding of software development and QA workflows.
- Curiosity and a willingness to try new things, learn, and adapt.
Nice to have:
- Experience creating newsletters and email templates.
- Familiarity with paywall and subscription management tools, like Zephr.
- Experience with React and Node.
- Experience deploying Docker containers to Google Cloud Platform.
- Knowledge of data science and machine learning tools.
- Prior journalism experience is a strong plus.
In your cover letter, please elaborate on what interests you about working on experimental products in the local news space.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Everbridge: a fast-growing global provider of SaaS-based critical communications and enterprise safety solutions are currently seeking Solution Architects to be based anywhere in Europe.Solution Architects are the primary Pre-Sales technical sales resource for the Everbridge Publ
Consensus is looking for an ambitious, creative, and versatile Senior Front-End Engineer who has experience with designing, developing, and maintaining web applications. The ideal candidate is a team-oriented and self-sufficient contributor who will craft and develop Front-End an
About Capital Rx:Capital Rx is a next generation pharmacy benefits manager, overseeing prescription benefit plans on behalf of employers, unions, and government entities. Determined to transform an outdated model, Capital Rx’s mission is to change the way prescription benef
ProductRemote.About PisanoPisano is a scaling technology company where we develop an elegant and innovative all-in-one Experience Management Platform to;Enable businesses to better understand their customers and employees; provide omnichannel solutions and exceptional experience.
MooveGuru is seeking a mid-level front-end developer to join our engineering team to help build our new platforms. You will work as part of a team to design and develop high-quality software solutions for web applications and mobile apps. As a front-end developer you will be resp
Who we areAt PSNGR1 we’re building the next generation travel platform for travel agencies, businesses, and travelers. Our platform makes it easy to plan, book and manage your complete trips for both business and leisure travel.For businesses, this means a travel platform t