About U.S. Digital Response
U.S. Digital Response (USDR) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort that helps governments and organizations respond quickly and efficiently to support the critical needs of the public.
Leveraging a network of pro-bono technical expertise and modern, resilient technology, USDR addresses and uncovers solutions for common, systemic challenges that public servants are facing, leaving them better equipped to deliver services and support to millions of people nationwide.
We operate with humility and deep respect for our partners and believe that modern and resilient technology applied in the public interest can deliver people-centered services at the speed of need.
As of February 2021, USDR has partnered with more than 180 government and nonprofit partners on 250+ projects, impacting 13 million people across 36 states and territories, and we've built a dedicated community of 6,500+ volunteers driven to serve in a time of need.
Learn more about our last year in our U.S. Digital Response 2020 Highlights (https://medium.com/u-s-digital-response/u-s-digital-response-2020-highlights-a8039de4262c) or by reading our recent press coverage (https://www.usdigitalresponse.org/news-media/).
The Infrastructure Lead position will support USDR's technical infrastructure and tools that enable the secure operation of USDR itself, as well as any infrastructure we maintain that supports our government partners.
The ideal candidate is experienced with managing operations and infrastructure work at significant scale, has multiple years of people management experience leading engineering teams, and is passionate about serving our communities by connecting experienced technologists to public servants and organizations they can help.
The ideal candidate will have excellent management and communication skills, respond quickly and cheerfully to changing conditions, and be grounded in the importance of the work. We're looking for someone who is a team player and willing to jump in on tasks of any size.
We aim to be a supportive community where anyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves in a difficult time.
In this role you will
- Set direction, support, and act as a backstop for our volunteer Tools Team, composed of a set of committed, long-tenured volunteers who provide technical assistance in support of USDR's internal operations (e.g. handling access requests, handling security reviews and security alerts, supporting our SaaS tools like Slack, Airtable, Zapier, etc that together form the foundation of our organization's processes).
- Build a volunteer team (or other process) to maintain projects that have moved from active development into maintenance. Many of our projects are repeatable solutions to common problems, but our volunteer teams typically transition off after projects complete. We would like to maintain ongoing knowledge and the ability to bring some of them up for new partners. We would also like to make shared components of projects easier to reuse. Our philosophy is to work in the open, so we would like to lean on approaches based on open source whenever possible so that governments do not have to rely on our volunteers if they have the internal capacity to deploy software.
- Develop and execute a philosophy and strategy for allowing USDR to responsibly host software for our government partners. Today, we rarely do this, but we believe there are opportunities for us to play a more significant role in responding to crisis if we are able to build, maintain and host OSS for our partners.
We're looking for someone with
- Previous experience managing engineering teams, with an operational focus, shipping software at significant scale (millions of users) with strict reliability and quality requirements.
- Experience as a software engineer (or in a similar role, such as SRE) is necessary. Experience as an SRE – or working in a strong SRE organization – is a strong plus.
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects and multi-task with excellent organization skills and a strict attention to detail.
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Experience in building diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships, and someone who is comfortable thinking outside the box and finding amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
What you'll get:
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits.
- A budget for team-level learning and development
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves in a difficult time. This means that we support a fully remote work environment along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but we will begin reviewing applications on Friday, March 19th. Interviews with potential candidates will the week of March 22nd. Potential candidates will then meet with various members of our Executive Team and/or Team Leads.
- If you are interested in learning more about this and other roles, you can join the USDR Executive Team for an information session on Friday, March 19th at 12:00 pm PT. You can register here (https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEuceygqjwqGNTyLkpAejAbxliA50k9gkKi).
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: