Job Description: SITE TA
Reporting to: SITE Lead Instructor
About the Role
Our SITE TAs are passionate about sharing their technical skills with students from underrepresented groups in tech. SITE TAs are responsible for supporting participants in the CodePath Summer Internship for Tech Excellence program in every step of their journey. They assist instructors with lessons, provide technical support for interns during lab and project work times, and mentor interns as they develop professional and collaborative skills. The TA role is a full-time 10-week commitment during the summer, plus an additional 20 hours of training during the spring (the goals of this training will be to help the TAs get more familiar with the curriculum, get to know other members of the instructional team, and better understand the program and instructional model). Because this is the first year of the SITE program, we anticipate our SITE TAs playing a crucial role in providing feedback to our program and curriculum teams to adjust and iterate on the curriculum and overall program model.
SITE TAs will need to be available during the following dates/time:
- May 15 - 31 (up to 20 hours of training, dates/times TBD): Training
- June 7 - August 13 8:00am - 4:00pm PST: Program dates
- August 16 - 20 (up to 40 hours): Wrap-up and report-writing.
CodePath.org is an early-stage nonprofit dedicated to offering an accelerated pathway into the technology industry for college students all across the US, with an emphasis on serving underserved, low-income, and first-generation students. We offer a variety of courses and services to students both directly on-campuses at colleges and remotely using video classrooms with instructors and TAs. All of these courses and services are offered to students entirely for free, funded directly by the technology industry in order to invest in the next generation of talented software engineers.
Our vision is that every student in college, regardless of background or personal circumstances, should have the opportunity, skills, network, and pathways available to become a confident and successful software engineer in the tech industry. CodePath.org develops and delivers a wide variety of programs and supports students over multiple years, reaching students in college starting before Freshman year and then all the way through to post-graduation and entering full-time software roles.
CodePath.org provides curriculum and programs for college students all across the United States, often offered for-credit at campuses, including at many HBCUs, HSIs, women’s colleges, and state colleges. CodePath.org is supported directly by the technology industry including Microsoft, Facebook, Walmart.org, and many more.
For more information, check out our website at CodePath.org.
- Support instructors in running technical workshops 3 - 4 times per week to teach participants the fundamentals of web development using React.js, Node.js, Express.js, and MongoDB.
- Circulate during a variety of working session types (examples include morning stand-up, extended group project work times, and just-in-time reinforcement sessions) to provide technical support and ensure all participants are making progress.
- Mentor an assigned group of ~9 course participants through one-on-one meetings with coaching and support around professional and collaboration skills.
- Develop strong relationships with program participants to support their growth and development throughout the program.
- 2+ years of classroom experience with a demonstrated track record of educational excellence, ideally in a CS/STEM field and ideally at a high school or college level.
- Strong commitment to increasing equity in computer science and the tech industry at large.
- Currently studying or have completed a degree in Computer Science (or related field).
- Strong understanding of core technologies: React.js, Node.js, Express.js (or a comparable framework) and foundational database knowledge. Our ideal candidate will also have familiarity with both relational (e.g. Postgres, MySQL, etc.) and document databases (e.g. MongoDB).
- Experience working in a student support/instructional role (TA, tutor, etc.), with a demonstrated ability to motivate others and coach students toward understanding complex concepts.
- Experience working in an immersive software development program is a plus.
- Experience in a rigorous software engineering internship is a plus.
CodePath Core Values
- We keep our promises to students
- We exist to empower others
- We encourage and celebrate diversity
- We believe in continuous growth and excellence
- We love to experiment and try new things
About the Current Team
We are individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, experiences, and unlikely stories, all connected by a single dream: a world in which regardless of background, socioeconomic status, gender or race all people have pathways to reach their full potential.
With a staff and board that cares deeply about diversity and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a richer work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: