Job Description: SITE Co-Instructor
Reporting to: Head of Programs
About the Role
Our SITE co-instructors are passionate educators and technologists who are deeply invested in providing opportunities for students identifying with underrepresented groups in tech. SITE co-instructors deliver exceptional technical workshops to a class of 35 - 50 participants in the CodePath Summer Internship for Tech Excellence program. Our co-instructors will be supporting a full-time instructional team, which consists of 1 Lead Instructor, plus 4 - 6 TAs.
Our ideal candidate for this role can commit to 4 weeks of full-time teaching, from June 7 - July 2, 2021. However, we are willing to consider shorter term contract or part-time engagements in which co-instructors are present in class only for a series of 2-hour workshops. Because this is the first year of the SITE program, we anticipate our SITE co-instructors will play a crucial role in providing feedback to our program and curriculum teams to adjust and iterate on the curriculum and overall program model.
SITE Co-Instructors will need to be available during the following dates/time:
May 8 - 31 (up to 10 hours total, dates/times TBD): Training
- Estimated 5 hours of co-planning with the Lead Instructor
- 5 hours of training sessions which include CodePath pedagogical best-practices, dry run of sessions you will teach, and time to connect with other instructional personnel.
- June 7 - July 2: Teaching Weeks
2 - 4 hours of planning time to review curriculum & plan per workshop
- Please note that while we welcome you to bring your own teaching style to the workshops, we ask that you review the provided materials carefully and stick to the provided guidelines as much as possible.
- We ask this because it allows us to teach students consistent code style and conventions and keep the overall class pace on track.
- Technical workshops run Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, 9:30 - 11:30am PST
Weekly 30 min instructor sync to review student feedback and message any instructional adjustments. Please note that these syncs are required for all co-instructors, even in weeks when you are not teaching.
- 2 - 4 hours of planning time to review curriculum & plan per workshop
CodePath.org is an early-stage nonprofit dedicated to offering an accelerated pathway into the technology industry for college students all across the US, with an emphasis on serving underserved, low-income, and first-generation students. We offer a variety of courses and services to students both directly on-campuses at colleges and remotely using video classrooms with instructors and TAs. All of these courses and services are offered to students entirely for free, funded directly by the technology industry in order to invest in the next generation of talented software engineers.
Our vision is that every student in college, regardless of background or personal circumstances, should have the opportunity, skills, network, and pathways available to become a confident and successful software engineer in the tech industry. CodePath.org develops and delivers a wide variety of programs and supports students over multiple years, reaching students in college starting before Freshman year and then all the way through to post-graduation and entering full-time software roles.
CodePath.org provides curriculum and programs for college students all across the United States, often offered for-credit at campuses, including at many HBCUs, HSIs, women’s colleges, and state colleges. CodePath.org is supported directly by the technology industry including Microsoft, Facebook, Walmart.org, and many more.
For more information, check out our website at CodePath.org.
- Lead technical workshops to teach students the fundamentals of web development using React.js, Node.js, Express.js, and MongoDB.
- Circulate to assist students with practice labs during the workshops
- Co-plan instruction with the SITE Lead Instructor to ensure all lessons are delivered in a manner consistent with CodePath’s standards and values.
- Adapt and create instructional materials from the course curriculum provided as-needed, and provide meaningful feedback to our curriculum team as the course progresses.
- Develop strong relationships with program participants to support their growth and development.
- 2+ years of experience working as a full-time software engineer, ideally in the core technologies (see below).
- Strong understanding of core technologies: React.js, Node.js, and foundational database knowledge. Our ideal candidate will have familiarity with both relational (e.g. Postgres, MySQL, etc.) and document databases (e.g. MongoDB).
- Strong willingness to learn the course curriculum and content.
- Experience working as an instructor (this may include extensive work as a conference lecturer, work as an adjunct professor, volunteer or paid work as a technical bootcamp or technical summer program instructor, etc.).
- Experience developing technical curriculum (and interest in playing a role in the development process of the SITE curriculum) a plus
CodePath Core Values
- We keep our promises to students
- We exist to empower others
- We encourage and celebrate diversity
- We believe in continuous growth and excellence
- We love to experiment and try new things
About the Current Team
We are individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, experiences, and unlikely stories, all connected by a single dream: a world in which regardless of background, socioeconomic status, gender or race all people have pathways to reach their full potential.
With a staff and board that cares deeply about diversity and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a richer work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: