POSITION TITLE: Technical Instructor (Software Engineering)
REPORTS TO: Manager, Technical Instruction
LOCATION: RTT (Remote Technical Training)
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas is seeking a Technical Instructor to deliver high-end technical training to underemployed and unemployed community residents for purposes of higher economic development and improvement of quality of life. The Technical Instructor must be self-directed and self-motivated, and comfortable with making intermediate-level decisions to adapt processes and curriculum delivery based on current conditions. The Technical Instructor works in collaboration with peers on dealing with students, and works with the Managing Director to change policies and procedures, and on strategic planning.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Deliver technology skills training and assessments to prepare students for entry-level to mid-level careers in the field of software development
- Daily instruction, assessment administration, attendance, one-on-one tutoring, evaluation, and monitoring of individual student progress
- Be Adept in learning new software tools, languages, and technologies as needed.
- Work closely with the team to identify student needs, provide the necessary support, and establish individualized plans for student achievement
- Tutor students as needed
- Work with Career Advance team to ensure alumni are completing additional requirement
- Maintain Salesforce database with student scores and attendance
- Work with Career Advancement team to ensure volunteers from the business community interact with students as classroom speakers, mentors, and small group coaches
- Work with Career Advancement team to recommend students for particular employment opportunities
- Monitor student compliance to attendance and other program policies, and address violations with students in a consistent manner. Work with Manager, Career Advancement to ensure documents such as probationary and termination letters are prepared and delivered.
- Connect students with the resources necessary for them to overcome their individual barriers to maintaining success in school
- Create, submit and maintain training curricula for approval and school files.
- Work closely with the Program Design team to create student content on the PS Academy.
- Instructors will need to commit a few hours per week preparing lessons and materials, leveraging existing PS curriculum content.
- Work closely with co-instructors or teaching assistants to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US:
- You have at least 2+ years of experience working on a software development team.
You have working experience in both front-end and back-end development, and are fluent in:
- HTML5 and CSS3
- At least one JS MV* framework (Angular, Backbone, or React preferred)
- SQL databases (we generally use PostgreSQL)
- NoSQL (we generally cover MongoDB)
- Java Springboot
- A Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in a related field is preferred but not required.
- Experience with curriculum, syllabus development, and lesson planning.
- Experience with student assessment; and a talent to continuously evaluate the curriculum to identify what is working and what improvements can be made
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are tech savvy and can learn fast.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able to access well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and take contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy company happy hours, retreats, a welcoming and casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits like affordable health care and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained 6,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life changing skills and careers in technology.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: