Define and build elegant, performant, and resilient systems for tomorrow's web.
Enthusiasm about the decentralized web and blockchains has brought an influx of people who want to _use_ distributed systems but who don't know _how to build_ the necessary infrastructure. We are building that infrastructure. To continue that work, we're looking for people who thoroughly understand the principles of distributed systems and cryptography, and who will lean into the challenges of applying those principles in open-source code that will be deployed worldwide.
Distributed Systems Engineering at Protocol Labs
Distributed systems engineering lies at the center of many projects at Protocol Labs. With IPFS, libp2p, Filecoin and other related projects we are laying the foundation for a more resilient, more secure, distributed version of the web. This requires rigorous engineering from protocol design through all the phases of implementation. We strike a balance between pragmatism (put it on a ship ), deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer at Protocol Labs you will…
- Build the next generation of peer-to-peer software, working on projects like libp2p, IPFS and Filecoin
- Contribute to steering and maintenance of the implementations of IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p and similar open source projects
- Create or maintain software libraries and programs depended on by other systems and applications
- Contribute to protocol design and specification efforts
- Participate in the design and implementation of performant and resilient distributed applications
- Develop solutions to hard problems in low-trust distributed systems
- Integrate research results and demonstrations into working, scalable programs and systems
- Work alongside a cross-functional team including engineering, design, community, product, and business
- Engage and educate the community, from users to contributors
- Lead and develop more junior engineers, and provide guidance and review for open source contributors around the world
You don’t need experience in 100% of these responsibilities, and we’d like to hear about your unique perspective on this role. Tell us about what you can bring!
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- Literacy with cryptographic principles and practices
- Experience with 1 or more of the following: Smart Contracts, storage platforms, UNIX file systems, VMs (preferred)
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience leading open source projects, and/or guiding their communities
- Security engineering and/or cryptography principles and practices
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Experience building with decentralized building blocks such as DHTs, consensus protocols, smart contracts, blockchain, p2p networking, etc.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Error on reporting