The National Weather Service’s (NWS) Meteorological Development Laboratory (MDL) conducts and sponsors applied research and development for the improvement of diagnostic and prognostic weather information; data depiction and utilization; warning and forecast product preparation; and data and forecast evaluation. Projects involve modern physical, dynamical, and statistical techniques implemented on operational computers. Emphasis is placed on integrated suites of guidance and final products for Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Centers, and National Centers to then be used for Impact-based Decision Support Services (IDSS). To address preparedness for extreme weather phenomenon such as the recent devastating wildfires in the Western United States, MDL has developed the National Blend of Models (NBM), a nationally consistent and skillful suite of calibrated forecast guidance based on a blend of both NWS and non-NWS numerical weather prediction (NWP) model data and post-processed model guidance.
The successful candidate will focus on the reengineering and refactoring of the current NBM software system. Current design of the system does not easily allow for the use of Python packages that leverage both advanced statistical packages and AI learning algorithms. Without the use of these resources, making notable improvements with each successive NBM development cycle will be very challenging. The scope of this software redesign is to holistically allow for the full value chain of the forecast process, from data collection and intelligent model blending to its dissemination of probabilistic and uncertainty weather information aligned with NOAA’s IDSS paradigm.
- Develop a next-generation statistical post-processing software system leveraging modern programming languages and paradigms to facilitate the transition of the NBM into a state-of-the- art fully probabilistic post-processing system.
- Collaborate with Management and Team Leads to identify end-user requirements and specifications
- Apply engineering principles and best practices to the creation of computer programs and data management.
- Design algorithms and flowcharts to create new software programs and systems
- Compile and assess user feedback to improve software performance
- Test programs and applications
- Troubleshoot, debug, maintain and improve existing software
- Develop a flexible metadata scheme to work with the software that accommodates a diverse collection of meteorological and geophysical fields; voluminous data sources (e.g. ensemble-based NWP); and statistical post-processing methods.
- Incorporate and modernize existing Fortran code from the current MDL post-processing software system as needed.
- Develop technical documentation to guide future software development projects
- BS/BA in Computer Science
- 6-8 years in software development and software engineering (Senior resource)
- Advanced shell scripting skills Fortran and python program calls
- Advanced knowledge and experience with modern Fortran (2003 and later) and or C/C++
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Python using scientific libraries such as NumPy and SciPy.
- Familiarity with scientific dataset formats including NetCDF and HDF (preferably familiar with GRIB2)
- Familiarity with programming language interoperability
- Strong problem solving and logical thinking skills
- Experience writing and running automated tests
- Work location Silver Spring, MD. - when the government returns to normal
U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident is required for the position.
- Candidate must successfully pass a Federal Background Investigation.
- Proficient in Job Scheduling/Management software for high-performance computing systems; some knowledge of qsub/ecflow
- Familiarity with parallel processing APIs (OpenMP, MPI)
- Familiarity with git and subversion version control software (enough knowledge to checkout to local repository/branch and save and push updated code)
- Familiarity with security groups, role permissions etc.
- Familiarity with Gerrit/Jenkins
- Strong writing skills for documentation purposes
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Remote, Europe (CEST)Along our challenge-full & growth-oriented journey, we are looking for an experienced and talented Python developer to strengthen our teams.Your missionImprove and collaborate on an existing Python 3 / Django (DRF) codebaseTackle.
Merritt Island, FL, USWe are integrating an application called "Fluid Designer". It is a 3D design application for cabinet manufactures which is based on an original customization by Microvellum . We have a need for a Python Programmer that can also.
Headquarters: New York, NY URL: https://clevertech.bizExperience Remote done Right. Over 20 years of remote experience, all 500+ staff are 100% remote and we still grow vibrant relationships, provide exceptional opportunities for career growth while.
As a Python Developer, you will use cutting edge cloud and data technologies to help global brands and federal agencies solve challenging problems through innovative technology solutions. Work on exciting projects, future-proof your skills, and grow.
Get a remote job that you will love with better compensation and career growth.We’re Lemon.io — a marketplace where we match you with hand-picked startups from the US and Europe. Why work with us:We’ll find you a team that respects you. No time-trackers.