This position involves leading Western Land’s GIS team and managing the organization’s nationwide GIS operations. He or she will be responsible for the overall performance of this department, supervising and mentoring the GIS team directly, managing our GIS Technology Road Map, and delivering on our best in class promise by ensuring GIS related needs are being fulfilled for internal stakeholders, clientele, and partners. The ideal candidate will be located near one of our larger regional offices – Ludington, MI; Oklahoma City, OK; or Canonsburg, PA. However, remote positions will be considered if the candidate has proven experience leading sizeable virtual teams.
- Coach and mentor GIS team members located in various WLS offices or stationed remotely, building up their GIS, industry, and leadership experience and qualities.
- Enact and reinforce WLS core values – Integrity, Teamwork, Relationships, Ownership, Development, Pursuit of Excellence, and Innovation.
Management / Supervisory:
- Work closely with Director of GIS to optimize department performance, proactively anticipating needs across the various industries we support and identifying opportunities to streamline processes, implement new technologies, and grow our market share in the GIS consulting sector nationwide.
- Support day to day operations for WLS project managers, department leaders, clientele and partners, maintaining regular communication, assessing needs, coordinating staffing and resources, and fulfilling those needs in a timely, quality fashion.
- Administer GIS resources and processes to ensure consistency and promote best practices.
- Administer and optimize overall quality and timeliness of the team’s output, with an emphasis on eliminating/minimizing risk for our Project Managers and Clients.
- Monitor project costs, budgets and timelines, working with Accounting Department as needed.
- Recruit and train talent, conduct performance reviews, and attend to performance related issues as needed, collaborating with HR.
- Conduct regular team meetings and trainings with team members.
- Review / approve staff time sheets and invoices.
- Assist with building out, maintaining and strengthening Western Land’s GIS technology road map.
- Work with IT Director to optimize technology performance, ensure GIS team members are equipped with proper resources, and troubleshoot tech related issues.
- Regularly assess existing WLS technology and processes against other available technology to optimize efficiencies, ensure we are meeting stakeholder needs, and remain best in class.
- Oversee implementation plans for new technologies.
- Maintain and grow both existing and new client relationships.
- Assist in outreach with potential new clients.
- Assist with presentations, demonstrations, and preparing GIS proposals / bids.
- Provide ongoing input towards GIS related marketing needs.
Engage in direct GIS support where warranted across various industries:
- Independently develop and manage web maps, reports, and workflows using Geocortex (Latitude) & Esri based software.
- Geodatabase design, creation, maintenance and quality control.
- Create accurate, inclusive reports and high quality maps tailored to project driven needs.
- Ad hoc mapping, conversions, and analysis.
- Must be able to prioritize & multi-task incoming requests, as well as maintain ongoing professional communication and relationships with all project stakeholders.
- 2+ years' leadership/supervisory experience.
- 6+ years required of GIS application experience.
- Multi-industry experience preferred: renewables, oil & gas, right of way, government, natural resources, utilities, real estate, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in GIS, Business, Computer Science, or other related fields.
- WebGIS (Geocortex / AGO / Portal) and Python experience preferred.
- SQL/SDE experience preferred.
- API development or management experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel & Outlook.
- Must possess strong computer, communication, and problem solving skills, with a keen attention to detail.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: