Vice President, Data Science
Who We Are
Groundspeed Analytics (“Groundspeed”) is one of the fastest growing InsurTech companies globally. Driven by innovative artificial intelligence (AI) solutions, Groundspeed is disrupting the $300 billion commercial insurance industry. Our clients include top insurance carriers and brokers such as Travelers, Aon, Liberty Mutual and others.
The insurance industry sits on massive amounts of unstructured data, and the lack of access and utilization of this data creates a barrier to revenue growth and expense reduction. Groundspeed helps the industry by unlocking the value in their unstructured data. Whether it is automating processes and/or providing insights derived from machine learning, Groundspeed is helping companies maximize their business opportunities.
Groundspeed is recognized by industry analysts as a leader and was recently named to the 250 Top FinTech startups in 2020 by CB Insights and the Insurtech Hot 100. Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Groundspeed’s team is distributed across more than 10 locations in the US, including San Francisco, Chicago, and Atlanta.
About the Role
The VP of Data Science will serve as a key member of the leadership team and will be responsible for leading Groundspeed’s data strategy, tying technology to business goals, and leading the company through significant growth as a market leader and innovator in commercial insurtech.
The VP of Data Science will be responsible for analyzing and deriving insights from data to inform business strategy and value. They will define the company’s strategy for the collection, management and storage of data across the organization and drive enterprise-wide governance and utilization of information as an asset. This leader will work closely with stakeholders to develop a comprehensive and pragmatic enterprise data roadmap focused on building the foundational data capabilities required to solve business data needs. By leveraging valuable insights, they will play a pivotal and strategic role in the assessment and road mapping of new product and business opportunities that will further elevate Groundspeed as the leader in its space.
What You'll Do
- Lead, grow, and retain an expanded team of data scientists as part of the broader technology organization
- Partner with leadership and product management in developing a roadmap for new data product offerings
- Work directly with the CTO in continuously improving the company’s AI strategy
- Work with multiple business stakeholders and cross-functional teams to design, develop, and execute advanced statistical and non-statistical solutions
- Support the model risk management and governance process
- Collaborate with engineering groups on data and machine learning systems for intelligent automation and data enrichment capabilities
- Become expert on the Groundspeed platform, used to perform automated and human-in-the-loop data extraction, annotation, and enrichment
- Partner with architects and development teams to ensure the continued availability of the data necessary for modeling purposes
- Keep pace with the latest developments in academia, regulatory environment, risk modeling methods, and the commercial insurance industry in order to provide expert guidance to the business functions
- Periodically collect additional data through means such as working with the operations and business intelligence groups, analyzing business results, or by setting up and managing new studies
- Create reports and presentations for business uses
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related technical discipline; advanced degrees strongly preferred
- Experience at successful startup(s) preferred
- 5+ years of experience directly leading and managing small to medium sized teams
- Preferably 5+ years of experience in the insurance or financial services industries
- Experience using machine learning and AI methods in production, ideally as part of a commercial service offering
- Expert knowledge of programming languages such as Python, R, and SQL
- Experience with common data science and machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch, SpaCy, Scikit Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow
- Strong analytical and quantitative skill set
- Advanced ability to perform exploratory data analysis and to communicate or visualize complex data in a simple, actionable way
- Familiarity with business intelligence tools such as Tableau
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
- Familiarity with data management tools
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong technical writing skills
- Entrepreneurial; roll-up-your sleeves attitude
- Ego free; cares deeply about and enjoys respectful cultures that value great ideas from all people at all levels of the organization
- Action orientated with the ability to influence others and implement change and standardized processes
- Self-starter mentality, yet a team player with a collaborative approach
- Attention to detail with good business judgment and exceptional maturity, diplomacy and communication skills
- Direct and clear communicator
We are Committed to a Diverse Workforce
Groundspeed is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. For more information about Groundspeed, please visit www.groundspeed.com.
Groundspeed Analytics, Inc. is an E-Verify Employer.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Error on reporting