About the Position:
The Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) and Outdoor Foundation (OF) are seeking a Director of Research who will be responsible for developing and executing an ongoing research program that supports specific initiatives and organizational mission of both organizations. These efforts include proactively telling the OIA/OF story via data and research, identifying and aggregating existing data, creating and maintaining partnerships with research partners, conducting primary research, and supporting the industry through market intelligence.
The position reports to the OIA Executive Director, but will collaborate with and advise the Managing Director OF.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Develop and execute a research program that supports specific program initiatives and both organizational missions as a whole
- Identify and aggregate existing data to support OIA/OF's current and future initiatives
- Build and maintain relationships with research partners academic, industry, and private sector (e.g., Physical Activity Council)
- Conduct/oversee primary research as applicable (e.g., membership studies, Outdoor Foundation Participation Study, etc.)
- Represent the OIA/OF on committees and organizations that influence relevant agendas (e.g., Outdoor Research Forum)
- Serve as the direct contact for all research requests both internal and external
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop long-term research goals and objectives
- Communicate clearly with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage the research budget
- Delegate and coordinate multiple concurrent initiatives
- Proactively tell the OIA/OF story via data/research
- Work with internal marketing to develop effective strategies for communicating research results externally
- Lead research efforts for state of the industry and economic data analysis and reporting, business operations and benchmarking studies and outdoor sales reports
- Monitor industry and cross industry trends, best practices and consumer behavior to inform and support research efforts
- Strong leadership skills and experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong analytic skills with experience conducting research independently, managing vendor/partners, and analyzing data from secondary sources
- Ability to prioritize internal/external research requests and allocate resources accordingly
- Ability to synthesize research findings from a variety of sources and generate actionable insights that support OIA/OF initiatives as well as the broader organizational mission
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external
- Minimum ten years of research experience. Minimum two years of research experience in advocacy, the outdoor industry, and/or a related industry.
- Expert at Excel, PowerPoint, R/SPSS and/or other similar software
- Python and/or other similar data science background is a plus
- Software Required: SPSS and/or R, Excel, Word, Power Point, SurveyGizmo
- Demonstrated the ability to provide instruction to audiences of varying background and levels of knowledge.
- Experience in a business, business association or the outdoor industry considered a plus.
- Database management and online collaboration application experience preferred.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of M.S./M.A. in a research-related field (e.g., social sciences) or equivalent applied experience.
About Outdoor Industry Association:
Based in Boulder, Colorado, with an office in Washington, D.C., Outdoor Industry Association is the leading trade association for the outdoor industry and the title sponsor of Outdoor Retailer. OIA unites and serves over 1,300 manufacturer, supplier, sales representative and retailer members through its focus on trade and recreation policy, sustainable business innovation and outdoor participation. OIA is a 501(c)6, nonprofit trade association. OIA also established and sponsors the Outdoor Foundation, a 501(c)3, nonprofit, with a mission centered on engaging American youth in active, outdoor lifestyles and nature-based education and activities Outdoor Industry Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes qualified applicants without regard to age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.
Salary and location:
- The salary range for this position is $100,000 to $115,000 depending on experience.
- This position is open as a remote role.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter explaining how you could bring a new perspective to the position and a resume. The subject line of the email should read Director of Research.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
At the Outdoor Industry Association and Outdoor Foundation, we celebrate and welcome diversity within our workforce. We strive to hire from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger advocate for our industry when all voices are represented.
The Outdoor Industry Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes qualified applicants without regard to age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $115,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Master's (Preferred)
- Research: 10 years (Preferred)
- advocacy or outdoor industry: 2 years (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: