BookNook is a dual bottom line education technology company that is committed to closing the early reading opportunity gap through innovations that prioritize authentic human connections to support learning. We believe the best edtech solutions are developed and supported by people with their roots in the classroom or the social sector, and we strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
A key feature of the BookNook product is our ability to leverage student performance data in order to track their progress and make informed lesson recommendations. We care deeply about the effectiveness of our approach, and as a Data Engineer at BookNook, you will play an integral role in building out and scaling our data strategy. The data engineer will work alongside our data analyst, psychometrician (testing expert), engineers, content experts, and product managers to build out an ETL and BI pipeline to help us answer key questions about the efficacy of our teaching methods. For instance, how does tutoring dosage affect student growth? Which cohorts of students are making the most or least progress, and why? When is a student ready to 'level up'? Our end goal is to productionalize machine learning models to track student growth accurately enough to ameliorate the burden of continual testing.
At BookNook you will:
- Analyze and organize raw student assessment data
- Collaborate with a Data Analyst and partner with different teams across BookNook, establishing scalable processes for managing data
- Prototype and build algorithms for predicting and modeling student growth
- Build data systems and pipelines to process and store student data at scale
- Explore ways to enhance our data quality and reliability
- Collaborate with our Psychometrician to facilitate randomized control trials to externally validate the efficacy of the BookNook methodHelp champion a data-driven culture throughout the company
What We're Looking For
- 4+ years of experience as a Data Engineer
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Ability to translate high-level business requirements to technical ETL designs and data models
- Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks
- Experience developing solutions within Cloud Services (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Strong general programming skills
- Solid grasp of the software development lifecycle and experience working in Agile environment
- Ability to perform some level of data analysis using Python, R, or similar tools.
- Hands-on experience with SQL database design
- Experience using Business intelligence tools like Tableau
- A strong sense of ownership and self-direction, ideally with experience working in a fast-moving SaaS startup / scale up phase
- Knowledge of advanced statistics or machine learning techniques is a plus
- A fondness for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Join a company with a mission. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast, and has already helped tens of thousands of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends, and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a tangible difference in the world every day.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Error on reporting