At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
Job ID:R22259 Data Engineer (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.Compensation Minimum: Compensation Maximum:
Summary:Job Family Summary Determines and builds the technical solution(s) to allow unstructured data to be structured and used by Data Scientists. Seeks to understand the data being worked with as its often unstructured data sets. Often are data gurus who prepare data for all stages of the modeling process including exploration, training, testing, and deployment. Job Profile Summary As a Data Engineer II, you’ll work on collecting, storing, processing and building Business Intelligence and Analytics applications within our big data platform. Presently, our team is constructing an enterprise data lake to enable analysts and scientists to self-service data at scale across American Family’s operating companies. We’re leveraging open source technologies like Spark, Python, Hadoop, and cloud native tools to curate high-quality data sets. You’ll also be responsible for integrating these applications with the architecture used across the organization. Adjacent responsibilities include establishing best practices with respect to data integration, data visualization, schema design, performance and reliability of data processing systems, supporting data quality, and enabling convenient access to data for our scientists and business users.
Job Level Summary
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines
- Solves complex problems
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- May lead projects or project steps within a broader project or may have accountability for on-going activities or objectives
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Perform exploratory data analysis to determine which questions can be answered effectively with a given dataset. Ability to analyze new (possibly unstructured) data sources to determine what additional value they may bring.
- Design and develop highly scalable and extensible data pipelines from internal and external sources.
- Work on cross-functional teams to design, develop, and deploy data-driven applications and products, particularly within the space of data science.
- Prototype emerging technologies involving data ingestion and transformation, distributed file systems, databases and frameworks.
- Design, build, and maintain tools to increase the productivity of application development and client facing teams.
- Partner with business analyst to define, develop, and automate data quality checks.
- Design and develop big data applications and data visualization tools.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL and experience using a variety of data stores (e.g. RDBMS, analytic database, scalable document stores).
- Hands-on programming experience in Python or java, with an emphasis towards building ETL workflows and data-driven solutions.
- Experience with big data batch computing tools (e.g. Hadoop or Spark) and developing distributed data processing solutions.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Good data understanding and business acumen in the data rich industries like insurance or financial
- Solid understanding of data modeling principles (e.g. dimensional modeling and star schemas).
- Solid understanding of database internals, such as indexes, binary logging, and transactions.
- Solid understanding of Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Docker, CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- Solid understanding of with software engineering tools and workflows (i.e. Jenkins, CI/CD, git).
Education and Licenses
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Job Information:
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community !
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: