RedLine Performance Solutions (RedLine) has been in the HPC solutions engineering services business for approximately 22 years and is consistently determined to keep the "bar of excellence" quite high for new hires. This enables RedLine to accomplish what other firms cannot and promotes a high level of staff retention. We offer services ranging from full life cycle HPC systems engineering to remote managed services to HPC program analysis. We are located in the Washington, DC area.
RedLine is seeking a Scientific Programmer/Analyst candidate(s) to support the Implementation and Data Services Branch (IDSB) in the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO). The IDSB supports the implementation, maintenance, and Tier-2 support of the operational production suite on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) High Performance Supercomputing (HPC) systems and of the applications on NOAA's Integrated Dissemination Program systems. The IDSB serves as the technical transition between the research and development of all aspects of the NCEP's computing algorithms and their operational implementation. The IDSB is also responsible for ensuring the timely and efficient flow of data to internal and external customers and communicating product changes.
US citizenship and the ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance are mandatory requirements for this position. The position is located at a customer site in College Park, MD. Preference is for local candidates, but we will consider relocation as well. This full time position offers a full benefits package including paid time off, 401k match, and health care benefits.
This position will serve as an Analyst on the team responsible for supporting the HPC systems. The candidate will serve as an expert technical authority, responsible for supporting the continuous, highly critical operations of the NWS operational supercomputing system, providing central guidance and forecast products 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Work in an HPC environment on the Linux platform that has a large-scale parallel file-system with multiple petabytes of storage, parallel processing with MPI/OPENMP and workload managers.
- Independently analyze, evaluate and implement modifications in a time-critical complex operational suite.
- Support applications across different scripting and programming languages such as Python, C, Perl, FORTRAN, Bash and HTML. Be able to compile, test, debug and document the application.
- Perform upgrades to the HPC operational suite using established software development standards.
- Ensure that implementations and upgrades are properly tested and coordinated.
- Troubleshoot issues with complex applications during business hours and in a rotating on-call basis off-hours. Suggest technically feasible solutions and recommends the most effective and efficient automation approaches with positive impact on multiple users.
- Be able to communicate effectively with software developers with a common goal to implement provided changes.
- Work with customers, both internal and external, on all aspects of weather and observational data, including support for: data format, data substance, downloading techniques, file transfer protocols, network download speeds, and website application errors.
- Work with forecasters, scientists and software developers on the transfer and support of observational, satellite, and numerical weather prediction data within an HPC and LINUX VM environment.
Desired credentials and skills:
- BS/MS or equivalent experience in atmospheric sciences or meteorology, computer science, mathematics, or a related physical science.
- Experienced working with applications in an HPC environment.
- Knowledge of NCEP data formats, such as GRIB2, NETCDF, and BUFR.
- Knowledge of weather display software systems used within the NWS, such as AWIPS2.
- Advanced knowledge of data transfer protocols, such as FTP, SCP, Rsync, etc.
- Knowledge of the NCO model production suite.
To learn more about RedLine please visit our website at www.redlineperf.com
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: