Our national multi-family management company seeks a Compliance Monitor with a "Whatever it Takes" attitude to be responsible for monitoring the resident
files of affordable housing communities for federal, state, and local,
regulatory and company policy compliance.
Responsible for monitoring the resident files of affordable housing communities for federal, state, and local, regulatory and company policy compliance. The compliance specialist will utilize knowledge of these laws and regulations relevant to affordable housing to evaluate projects and provide assistance to site staffs and managers to ensure sites are in compliance with all applicable affordable programs to include Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), HOME funds, bonds, CDBG, and other various HUD programs. Provide support with on-site visits and serve as the point of contact for compliance issues.
REPORTS TO: Compliance Supervisor and Vice President of Housing
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Normally the employee works independently, plans, initiates, and carries out daily work activities with minimal supervision while resolving problems that arise. Instruction to the employee may be general or specific in nature. The employee’s work is periodically reviewed for accuracy, completion, and compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Review and send corrections to various communities for applicant/resident files to ensure eligibility under the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs rules and regulations or other affordable governing/monitoring agencies as required.
- Review and approve all affordable housing compliance paperwork for resident move in and re-certifications to include verification documentation and tenant income certifications submitted.
- Reviews TIC trackers monthly to ensure that assigned properties are submitting re-certification/AEC files timely. Reports non-compliant sites to the Compliance Supervisor on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that all tax credit projects first year tenant files are 100% in compliance with all Section 42 program guidelines.
- Have a thorough knowledge and clear understanding of all documents and requirements required under each affordable program and have the ability to give guidance to communities when necessary.
- Maintain an excellent and up to date knowledge of the HUD Handbook 4350.3. Calculate income from check stubs, employment verification and all other forms of income as outlined in the HUD 4350.3 handbook. Calculate income from assets as outlined in the HUD 4350.3 handbook.
- Keeps current on all updates and changes in affordable housing programs and requirements.
- Perform on site sample file audit reviews at least once annually for assigned portfolio. Report written findings of non-compliance to Compliance Supervisors, Regionals and Vice Presidents.
- Review and audit resident files in preparation for scheduled site audits by the state monitoring agency or syndicator. Prepare an accurate audit report citing affordable program deficiencies noted during the pre-audit. Provide clear, written direction to correct all deficiencies noted. Provide copies of these reports to Compliance Supervisors, Regionals and Vice Presidents.
- Effectively present information either in writing or orally in one-on-one and small group situations to include site staffs, clients, and supervisory staff. Responds timely to compliance-related questions from property or corporate personnel.
- Review monthly/quarterly compliance reports and report deficiencies to the Compliance Supervisors, Regionals and Vice Presidents. Review and ensure quarterly USR reports are corrected before they are submitted through CMTS system in the state of Texas and other reporting systems for state monitoring agencies in other states.
- Assists Compliance Supervisors with updating forms, policies, procedures, and manuals.
- Assists Compliance Supervisors with utility allowances, income limit updates, rent schedules, rental criteria, affirmative plans, etc. Ensure assigned communities are tracking current utility allowances as required and that current income and rent limits are in effect. Notify Compliance Supervisor if assigned sites are not in compliance with updated utility allowances, rent schedules, rental criteria, and appropriate affirmative marketing plan and related materials applicable to the affirmative marketing plans.
- Make recommendations to Compliance Supervisors and Compliance Trainer regarding site staff that require compliance training.
- Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for their own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Answers email correspondence and questions in a timely manner.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND TRAINING
DEGREES AND DIPLOMA
- High school Diploma or equivalent, college degree preferred.
- Accounting, bookkeeping or administrative office management experience.
- Two plus (2+) years of related experience or training in affordable housing compliance.
- Ability to interpret and comply with governmental codes and regulations.
- Fair Housing Certification- Five (5) hours required annually, however can be web-based certification within one (1) month of hire date.
- Required-COS (Certified Occupancy Specialist) or Tax Credit certification or attainment within six (6) months of hire.
- Continuing education - Annual attendance - State monitoring agency training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communications skills. Must be able to write and compose reports and communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to provide technical assistance on complex situations in a simple, straightforward manner.
- Demonstrated mathematical skills. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Able to analyze and review financial data. High accurate in mathematical computations.
- Ability to learn, interpret and appropriately apply complex state and federal legislation.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team and in a collaborative manner with staff, peers and supervisor.
- Strong ability to establish and maintain effective and courteous relationships with other team members, site staff, residents, clients, and the public and deal effectively with situations requiring tact and diplomacy with firmness.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and any other job specific software/programs.
- Will work with minimum supervision, therefore, must have excellent spelling and grammar and be able to proof own work, have good telephone skills, be organized, meet deadlines and have the ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgement to resolve complex calculations, verification, documentation and transmissions errors in a systematic manner.
- Must handle stressful, urgent, novel and diverse work situations on a daily basis due to complexity and time sensitive deadlines. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must have reasonable transportation and a valid driver’s license in order to conduct onsite audits or any other function that may require travel.
Our employees are our most valuable asset. We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, 401K, opportunities for advancement and an EOE/drug-free workplace.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
Transnetyx is seeking an International team member to serve on our Genetic Services team.As a Genetic Resolutions Specialist, you are responsible for serving as liaison between customer and company to address complaints, inquiries, and resolve issues with the overall goal of main
Job DescriptionWe are seeking a 2nd shift Data Center Operator w/ 1-2 years of Operations support type experience.Event management - daily 90-95% * Keep track of job flows activities and react to any problems/eventsMonitor the different processing platforms that pass data/files t
Reports To:VP of Information TechnologyClassification:Full Time, Exempt PositionLocation:RemoteSupervises:N/APosition Summary:To support continued growth while maintaining our high standards for customer service, Infinity Global is seeking a talented, motivated Project Manager to
The Field Service Engineer (FSE) installs, repairs, upgrades, and services 3D printers and supporting equipment for external customers.Near Term Deliverables – First YearParticipate in on-call rotations immediately (with help from team)Demonstrate competency in 2 or more su
Position SummaryThe Client Relationship Developer will play a central role in company growth by identifying and cultivating new client relationships for Lynx. As a marketing consultancy built by insight pros, we thrive by establishing and nurturing immersive, consultative, and lo