SUSE is an open-source pioneer and market leader with a fast-paced, exciting environment at the leading edge of Enterprise Linux, Data Center Management and Cloud Solutions. Our Engineering & Innovation group is looking for a Software Engineer with a focus on systems and configuration management to join an international team of developers at the SUSE Manager product team. SUSE Manager is an open-source solution for managing software-defined infrastructures at scale, from bare-metal Linux systems to containers and Kubernetes clusters.
In this role, you will ship code for SUSE Manager, a web-based systems management solution used by hundreds of companies across the world. We expect you to:
- Be a great person to work with: promote teamwork and value mentoring (giving and receiving).
- Drive the future of our codebase, work with upstream project communities, and influence design and implementation decisions.
- Work with users to identify problems, turn them into good reports, track progress, and provide actual solutions and feedback to users.
- Be productive while keeping a focus on maintaining high-quality standards.
We look for passionate engineers who are motivated to make an impact for their team and our customers. We expect you to have:
- Solid software engineering skills regarding algorithms, programming paradigms, and distributed systems.
- Very good knowledge of the Java programming language, including the corresponding ecosystem and best practices.
- Familiarity with configuration management systems and best practices, ideally Salt or Ansible.
- Experience with designing and implementing application back-ends and scalable services.
- Solid understanding of relational databases and the SQL query language, ideally experience with PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art testing tools and practices as well as the ability to debug complex problems.
- Confidence when using the Linux operating system and awareness of differences between major distributions.
- Giving and receiving code reviews with an ability to knowledgeably discuss technical alternatives in complex systems.
- Verbal and written proficiency in English language.
We would also greatly appreciate:
- Proficiency with front-end development (ideally TypeScript and React) or the Go programming language.
- Previous participation in and contributions to open-source communities and being well-versed with open-source software development practices.
- Experience in architecting complex software applications on top of the most common Cloud Service Providers.
- Opportunities to improve your skills in addition to collecting hands-on experience in the open-source world.
- Direct contact with representatives of open-source software projects worldwide.
- Regular hackathons (Hackweeks) and workshops on the company, department, and team levels.
- We celebrate success.
We will be conducting a live coding exercise with you during an interview in order to verify technical skills. This might not be needed in case you presented us a significant and relevant piece of code that you authored, preferably in the form of an open-source contribution (a pull request) to one of our repositories, especially Uyuni or salt-netapi-client. There is a list of "good first issues" for your inspiration. Your contribution would then be discussed as part of the interview process.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: