We are looking for a Technical Support Engineer to work in the fast-paced Entertainment industry providing enterprise-level assistance to our customers of the digital asset management platform, 5th Kind’s CORE. NOTE: This is not an IT Help Desk role. This is a technical support and managerial role for external customers using a cloud-based SaaS platform. The person in this position will perform the Engineer role 50% of the time and 50% will perform tasks around managing a small group of 3-6 team members in US and abroad.
You will diagnose and troubleshoot our software application problems and help our customers with their technical issues. Technical Support Engineer responsibilities include resolving application issues and using remote desktop connections to provide immediate support. You will use email and chat applications to give clients quick answers to simple technical issues. For more complex problems that require nuanced instruction, you will contact clients via phone and/or provide clear, written instructions and technical manuals. You will collaborate daily with the 5th Kind engineering team to help resolve issues and ensure client SLAs are met. This position reports to the 5th Kind Client Ops team and is the daily touch point between the 5th Kind team and 5th Kind CORE users.
To be qualified for this role, you should hold a degree in a relevant field, like Computer Science or Software Engineering. Linux or similar certification is a plus. If you’re naturally a helper, enjoy assisting people with software application issues and are able to explain technical details simply, we’d like to meet you. Ultimately, you will be a person our customers trust. They will rely on you to provide timely and accurate solutions to their technical problems.
- Offer online and phone support to clients, responding to customer inquiries and assist in troubleshooting and resolving challenges
- Research, analyze, and diagnose application and related technical problems, and identify solutions
- Ask customers targeted questions to quickly understand the root of the problem
- Talk clients through a series of actions, either via phone, email or chat, until they’ve solved a technical issue
- Properly escalate unresolved issues to appropriate internal teams (e.g. software developers)
- Provide prompt and accurate feedback to customers
- Refer to internal database or external resources to provide accurate tech solutions
- Ensure all issues are properly logged
- Prioritize and manage several open issues at one time
- Follow up with clients to ensure their application is fully functional after troubleshooting
- Actively assess, maintain and monitor the CORE application on behalf of clients
- Support, install, and configure integrated applications relevant to 5th Kind’s CORE
- Track computer system issues through to resolution, within agreed time limits
- Complete detailed, accurate, and timely reports listing requests to technical assistance, steps taken to resolve them, and the specific dates/individuals involved
- Assist management in creating training materials pertaining to computer troubleshooting and usage
- Act as the initial point of contact for application related concerns from clients or other employees
- Organize and write documentation around usage of the CORE system through Help documentation, FAQs, guides etc.
- Become an expert on the 5th Kind CORE application in order to support user orientation and training
- Document technical knowledge in the form of notes and manuals
- Maintain positive relationships with clients
Managerial responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain team coverage of 24/7 support model and on call coverage
- Meet SLAs for all clients
- Conduct bi-weekly team meetings keeping team on operational tasks assigned through tools like Asana & Jira
- Pull client reports for support metrics
- Keep support tools up to date such as Zendesk, Zingtree, Confluence, Google docs, internal Help Docs, etc.
- Report to company weekly on Support metrics such as new bugs, feature requests, client hot topics etc.
- Role reports to VP Client Operations and CEO
- Positive personality, a sense or awareness of urgency where appropriate, and great communication skills
- 2+ year experience supporting SaaS cloud applications for large organizations with fast-paced and urgent projects, including working directly with C-level execs
- 3+ years of programming experience
- 2+ years of managerial experience, preferably managing support teams in multiple or remote locations
- Knowledge of Linux scripting.
- Experience working with RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of SQL
- Knowledge of supporting scalable applications
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud
- Experience working with single page applications or knowledge of AngularJS
- Experience with QA testing
- Experience with various database technologies including MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins
- 3+ years of PHP 5+ experience
- Knowledge of OWASP best practices
- Media and/or Entertainment production experience or experience supporting applications for an M&E company
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Proven work experience as a Technical Support Engineer, Desktop Support Engineer, IT Help Desk Technician or similar role
- Hands-on experience with Windows/Linux/Mac OS environments
- Good understanding of SaaS technologies, computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot basic technical issues
- Ability to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently
- Familiarity with remote desktop applications and help desk software (eg. Zendesk)
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Ability to provide step-by-step technical help, both written and verbal
- Time-management skills and the ability to establish reasonable and attainable deadlines for resolution
- Professional written and interpersonal skills are essential when communicating with customers and clients
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and customer feedback regarding their experience with software or IT services
- BS degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- Additional certification in Linux or similar technologies is a plus
Job Type: Full-time, job requires taking calls or emails from clients in off-hours at times as needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer
5th Kind is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. 5th Kind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
As a full time employee, you are eligible for company benefits such as company-subsidized health, dental and vision insurance, FSA and Commuter Benefits programs, a 401K (non-matching at the present time), 1 week paid sick leave and 2 weeks paid vacation accrued hourly, and a week of paid vacation between Christmas and New Year, granted as workload allows. Remote work and work from home schedules are also offered.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: