The Data Engineer builds, manages and optimizes data pipelines to support the business and analytics requirements of the university. As a member of the Information Technology Solutions Enterprise Management team, the Data Engineer collaborates with others to acquire raw data from a variety of sources and constructs datasets for quick, efficient and easy access by various data consumers across the organization. The Data Engineer implements methods to improve data reliability and quality while enabling routine and ad-hoc analysis and decision-making. He/she also provides escalation support for the SNHU operational DBA team. This role requires strong proficiency in advanced data engineering and data management disciplines along with excellent technical, analytical and communication skills. The successful candidate is a team player who demonstrates significant self-motivation and drive to learn in a fast-paced, transformational environment.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Utilize appropriate technology to meet business needs which may include: Data Lake, Data Warehouse, Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, Cosmos DB, Machine Learning, Event Streaming, Logic App, AAD, Erwin Data Modeler, Erwin Data Catalog, Synapse and SQL PolyBase.
- Manage ingress and egress of data for ITS solutions across the enterprise.
- Stay informed of and contribute to both managed and independent research (e.g. POCs, whitepapers, studies) to stay current on the latest data tier capabilities and to determine business and technical value for potential injection into roadmap.
- Work in a team using innovative technologies to solve challenging business problems and build solutions.
- Establish, evangelize and enforce best practices for design and coding standards. Provide technical mentoring and assistance to team members.
- Work closely with peers in operations, product definition architecture and engineering to make recommendations and designs based upon current operational and development technical abilities as well as corporate constraints.
- Provide technology operation support as new systems/platforms are implemented.
- Build documentation and provide escalation support for the operational teams.
- Design, implement and test Data Platform Services.
- Design, implement and test data transformation and loading services.
- Perform all aspects of data modeling including conceptual, logical, and physical data models using entity-relationship diagrams, supporting metadata, etc.
- Contribute to management of central data stores and metadata.
- Learn new technologies and be aware of industry standards, best practices and trends.
- Gather requirements and collaborate closely with team (business/data analysts, data scientists, other data consumers) to translate into technical output.
- Collaborate with ITS AppOps and architecture to select data platform technologies that align to the business and technical needs.
- Participate in ensuring compliance and governance during data use by working closely with data governance teams.
- Drive automation through effective metadata management. Automate data prep and integration tasks using advanced methods and tools.
- Support project management methods (predictive, agile) by assisting with planning, providing estimates and work breakdown structures for your work, progress reporting, etc. to ensure predictable and successful achievement of desired outcomes.
- Other duties, responsibilities or activities may be assigned.
Typically requires bachelor's and at least 5+ years relevant experience. Relevant experience ideally includes roles in Data Engineering, Database Administration, Data Management, Data Integration, Enterprise Data Architecture and/or similar areas. Strong experience working with large, heterogeneous datasets and creating/optimizing data pipelines in an SQL Server and Azure Services environment is essential. Experience should also reflect successful demonstration of business skills, technical skills, people skills (collaborative) and soft-skills (learning agility, effective communicator, results-oriented.) Experience in lieu of degree acceptable.
- 4+ years working with SQL Server.
- 2+ years working with Azure Services.
- 3+ years creating data pipelines.
- 3+ years PowerShell or CLI scripting.
- Strong familiarity with Data Warehouse and Data Modeling including star schema.
- Good understanding of database principles.
- Working knowledge of ITIL.
- Well versed on general infrastructure technology including public and private cloud concepts.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Azure security and data encryption best practices.
- Solid understanding of Software/System Development Lifecycle and Integration.
- Familiar with project management methodologies (predictive, agile.)
- Strong written and oral communication skills enabling clear communication of complex concepts to target audience.
- Solid teamwork, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Highly effective analytical and complex problem-solving skills including root-cause analysis for troubleshooting problems.
- Proficient with relevant technologies that may include SQL and NoSQL design and implementation.
- Proficient in entity relationship diagramming and data flow diagrams.
- Strong proficiency programming in SQL.
- Strong proficiency in multiple tools mentioned above with ability to quickly learn additional tools as needed to perform and manage tasks for assigned projects such as:
- Data modeling tools: e.g. Visual Paradigm, Erwin Data Modeling or equivalent
- Microsoft tools
- Ability to think cross-functionally and identify potential impacts across systems.
- Ability to understand complex business needs and how current and emerging technologies are being employed to drive solutions.
- Ability to collaborate with and balance the needs of diverse team members to design and integrate efficient solutions which meet business needs.
- Ability to provide advice and training to team members.
- Demonstrable initiative, judgement and creative thinking in carrying out all core responsibilities.
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership.
- Ability to adapt to change and work in fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility and cultural sensitivity to work effectively with offshore teams and others who work in different time zones.
- Excellent time management, organizational and personal effectiveness skills.
- Exhibits SNHU core competencies consistent with “Growing You” - Learner/Client Focus, Value Differences, Instill Trust, Lead Self, Critical Thinking, Effective Communications, Growth Mindset, Team Player, Drive for Results
- Experience with Azure Data Factory.
- Experience implementing data focused architecture solutions in complex environments.
- Progressive experience as a solutions architect with current and emerging data technologies on Microsoft Azure Platform.
- Advanced experience on Azure platform for services like ADLS, ADF, Synapse Analytics and Azure Databricks.
- Experience working in an Agile workflow.
Professional Certification(s) preferred: Microsoft Certified Professional
Typically Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm with flexibility to meet business demands as needed.
A background check is required for employment. Please submit a cover letter, in addition to your resume, with your application.
Why Join SNHU?
Ours is a dynamic environment where innovation is encouraged—and ideas are welcomed. We believe in one another’s potential, and we focus on creating a positive community where collaboration, belonging, and growth are valued.
SNHU employees are a team in every sense. Separately, we understand that each individual brings unique experiences, perspectives, and ideas to create a vibrant work environment. Together we share common values of honesty, acceptance, and accountability working as a unified force toward a common goal: to transform the lives of learners.
As a global leader in education, we strive for a workforce that reflects the individual differences of our learning community. We believe that our employees can be their best selves when they can be their true selves. Therefore, we are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion in which all of our employees feel welcomed, valued, and empowered. We’re proud to have been recognized as a Great College to Work for by the Chronicle of Higher Education every year since its
By joining our team, you join us in our vision. Together, we’ll shape the future of education by transforming lives—beginning with yours.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: