As a Data Engineer Platform, you will be working cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement our Data Warehouse model. You will be working in our Business Technology Data and Analytics function with an eye to developing a sound data foundation and processes that will scale with the company’s growth.You will be the SME of managing all platform technology stack of Data and Analytics team. You will design, implement data pipelines enabling insights from our Product and Corporate Systems for key partners and decision makers at Slack. You would also be responsible for enhancing and maintaining our data warehouse.
This is a fun role for problem solvers, who can intuitively anticipate problems and can also look beyond immediate issues. It is for people who take initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure. In short, we look for people who take pride in the craft and want to be part of creating and defining the teams operating model and contribution to the company. They will be a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack. If this role has your name written all over it, please contact us with a resume so that we explore further.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Provides standard methodologies, direction for data engineering and design across multiple projects and functional areas.
- Production Support and Maintain analytics technology ecosystem (data warehouse, ETL and BI tools)
- Advises on performance optimizations and standard methodologies for scalable data models, pipelines and queries.
- Uses the right tools for the right job to deliver testable, maintainable, and modern data solutions
- Partner with Data Engineers, Data architects, domain experts, data analysts and other teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements
- Design, build and implement automation framework for scale that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- Own and document data pipelines and data lineage
- Identify, document and promote standard methodologies
- Reduces technical debt over time with root cause identification and resolution of system problems
What you should have
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering field.
- 6+ years work experience showing growth as a Data Engineer.
- Very solid experience in SQL, dimensional modeling, supporting data warehouse, scaling and optimizing, performance tuning and ETL pipelines
- Administration knowledge of databases, ETL tools, basic Unix administration.
- Deep understanding of relational as well as big data setup. Preferred: Prior experience with Snowflake, ETL tools (eg Informatica, Matillion, Snaplogic), Hive, Presto, Dimensional Modeling.
- Proficiency with programming languages (e.g. Python)
- Problem solver with good interpersonal skills with ability to make sound complex decisions in a fast-paced, technical environment.
- Ability to work on multiple areas like Data pipeline ETL, Data modeling & design, writing complex SQL queries etc.
- Proficiency in Airflow is a big plus.
- Passionate about various technologies including but not limited to SQL/No SQL/MPP databases etc.
- Hands-on experience with Data Warehouse technologies (Snowflake, Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
- Solid grasp of trade-offs
- Demonstrated ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if: