Title: Distinguished Engineer
Location: Remote in these states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KY, ID, IL, IN, MA, MI, MN, MO, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI
If you’re looking to be at the forefront of disrupting the ecommerce industry, wanting to make your mark and be continuously challenged to grow, your time has come.
ShipBob is recognized as #1 on Crain's 2020 “Fast 50” list of the fastest-growing companies in Chicago & Built In’s best mid-sized companies to work for in Chicago. With this growth, we are looking for top talent to help us reach the next level.
The VP/Distinguished Engineer will be setting the standard for engineering excellence at ShipBob. A distinguished engineer will be a technical visionary having prior experience with building technology platforms and applications at scale and an understanding of building/organizing teams to operate such platforms. As ShipBob grows into the future we will be expanding rapidly year over year and this will require us to build well into the future to keep up with the operational pace that the business requires. You will put together an architecture and platform roadmap and help implement technical design reviews, identifying areas that will be challenging to scale, and helping mentor and coach the next level technical people to scale themselves into the future. A distinguished engineer will be a key partner to Engineering Leaders (VP’s and Directors) on organizing decentralized single threaded teams, helping connect teams together to collaborate on sweeping changes in the platform, influence technology roadmaps and use your previous experience to uplevel talent in the organization. As a distinguished engineer at ShipBob you will be spending most of your time reviewing and influencing engineering and operational excellence within teams, however you should be capable of jumping in and doing some hands-on work where direct examples are necessary.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with over 5,200+ e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver best in class experience to their customers. With an almost 100% accuracy rate in fulfilling orders and orders shipped on time, our merchants can count on us to deliver excellent service.
ShipBob’s growing fulfillment network is powered by our proprietary technology and acts as a back office for logistics, providing merchants with full visibility into orders, inventory levels in real time, and access to advanced analytics, over 27 integrations and data reporting.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago with over $330M+ raised from blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the #1 best fulfillment technology in the industry. To help us meet this standard, we are scaling our entire team and looking for people who share our core values and have an entrepreneurial mindset.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
What you’ll do:
- Work with leaders on the future vision for the organization.
- Partner with vendors and to implement critical tools.
- Influence the technology roadmap.
- Drive engineering excellence across the organization and in your specific domain.
- Standardize processes and technology patterns across the organization.
- Champion usage of automation tools where possible.
- Mentor and guide the next generation of technical leaders.
- Document and review architectural patterns and choices.
- Connect teams and foster a spirit of collaboration.
- Attract, retain and develop talent.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- 15 to 20 years of experience in technology organizations.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Object oriented mindset.
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to own small well scoped features and implementation.
- A hands on coding approach to engineering mentorship.
- Ability to own medium sized features from design to implementation.
- A defensive coding mindset with knowledge of OWASP.
- Ability to own large features from design to implementation.
- Ability to own service level system design.
- A passion for QA and an understanding that testing is not someone else’s responsibility.
- A passion for DevOps and an appreciation for continuous integration/deployment.
- Ability to own cross service level system design.
Experience In The Following
- Microsoft Azure and/or other Leading Public Cloud infrastructure.
- Service-oriented (SOA) and Event Driven (EDA) architectures.
- Experience in Organizational Design and Influencing Architecture to support decentralized Single Threaded Tams.
- Infrastructure and Platform Automation - Experience with IaaS and PaaS tools and DevOps methodologies.
- Web Services and Data Serialization Formats (e.g: REST, JSON etc.).
- .Net, C# or Java.
- ASP.NET MVC.
- Database Technologies (Non Relational / No SQL Stores, Relational DB Concepts and Design).
Nice To Have
- Experience with Vue.js
- Experience with Azure DevOps
- Experience with Azure Functions
- Experience with Azure Webjobs
- Experience with App Services
- Experience with Service Bus
- Experience with Storage Queues
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Basic Life Insurance
- 401K Match
- Variety of voluntary benefits, such as, short term disability
- Competitive Salary, Performance Bonus & Stock Options
- Paid Maternity/Parental Leave Program
- Flexible Time Off Program
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Internal Use Only, Requisition #: POPS-1242
Let us know
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on RemoteTechJobs and let us know if:
#Description#Jobvite is an end-to-end Talent Acquisition Suite that takes a marketing-first approach to intelligently attract dream candidates, automatically screen for the highest quality, engage employees invested in the future, and retain the people who care the most about you
Piper Companies is seeking a Manager of Data Engineering for a growing technology driven organization. The Manager of Data Engineering role is a 100% remote role that can reside anywhere in the United States. The Manager of Data Engineering will be working with a team primarily b
Alvaria employs a team of passionate individuals who are changing the face of customer engagement. Over our 40-year history we have empowered employees by creating an inspired community that values Urgency, Accountability & Results. Our ability to think big has enabled us to
Remote Opportunity Main responsibilities:Create visualizations and analyses that provide business insights for our global customers.Build prototypes for demonstration and illustration purposes for peer groups, Business partners, or senior leaders.Expertise in SQL can independentl
Job SummaryAnalyzes, installs, administers, and configures the infrastructure systems in a distributed environment at the enterprise level; participates in capacity planning; supports the creation and the maintenance of infrastructure disaster recovery plans, monitors performance